The BUH exercise builds strength and fullness in the chest voice and vocal muscles. Tips to make this exercise most effective:
- Aim for as deep and full-sounding a chest voice tone as you can.
- Open your mouth to engage the broadness of the UH vowel sound. The broad vowel will help keep you in chest voice.
- Make sure the sound is clear, not breathy.
- Hammer out the “B” consonant in order to give strength and grip to your vocal muscles and lips.
- Only let the sound exit your mouth. Make sure you are not in head voice or engaging too much nasally pharyngeal resonance.
- If you’re classically trained and your tone is head-voice dominant, you will need to be a bit more gutsy with this exercise!
- Go back to the “Discover Your Voice” chest voice workout if you’re having trouble with this exercise.