The BUH exercise builds so much strength and power into the voice! The BUH engages deep vocal cord closure (allowing a rich chest voice quality) while at the same time allowing us to find release and freedom in the higher range. Tips to make this exercise most effective:
- Aim for a slightly dopey, low-larynx tone (like the word “BOOK” but without the “K”), not a whiny, high-larynx tone.
- Keep the “B” consonant very choppy.
- Keep the lips loose, not tight, so there’s not excess tension in your throat.
- Make sure the tone is clear, not breathy.
- As in the other exercises, remember not to aim for a lot of power. Focus on achieving the correct technique and aiming for freedom in your voice… and power will come as a result of having these as your goals!