The GEE and GOO exercises build strength and power into the head voice and vocal muscles. Tips to make these exercises most effective:
- Make sure your mouth is narrow, not wide.
- For GEE, the narrow “EE” vowel will help pull you towards a pure head voice tone. For GOO, keep your lips narrow and puckered, like you’re blowing a kiss. The narrow “OO” vowel will help pull you towards a pure head voice tone.
- Only let the sound exit your head. Make sure to stay in your head voice, even when the scales go lower.
- Hammer out the “G” consonant in order to close and give grip to the vocal cords.
- Focus on making the notes short and choppy.
- Make sure the tone is clear, not breathy.
- Imagine the vibration between your eyebrows as you engage a clear, pointed head voice tone.
- Go back to the “Discover Your Voice” head voice workout if you’re having trouble with this exercise.