The NO exercise builds a rich, resonant tone in the voice by engaging the low larynx technique and allowing us to find the depth of chest voice along with the release of the pharyngeal and head voice. Tips to make this exercise most effective:
- Make sure it’s a slightly whiny, decisive “NO”! Be aggressive… say it like you mean it!
- Keep your mouth narrow, not wide (making sure to drop your jaw vertically).
- Feel the natural diphthong (combination of vowels) of the OH → OO on each “NO”.
- Make sure the tone is clear, not breathy.
- Remember the “tilt” as you move higher and lower in the scales.
- Don’t worry about perfect connection… it will come in time!